Collaboration is one of Consortium’s core values. By working together, we can more effectively identify and address the needs of LGBT+ communities, learn from one another, improve our practices, and bring additional resources into the sector.
Over the last six months, Consortium has worked closely with three partner organisations to deliver City For LGBT+, a ground-breaking live crowdfunding event that raised over £25,000 for four LGBT+ groups based in the UK, India and Jamaica.
Each partner brought their particular strengths to the table:
- The Funding Network contributed expertise in organising live crowdfunding events
- Macquarie Group very generously hosted the event at their London HQ
- GiveOut invited two international LGBT+ groups to pitch
- Consortium selected two UK-based Members to pitch
Together we devised the schedule, wrote promotional material, and reached out to our contacts and networks to make the event a success. Two – or in this case four – heads are better than one!
The event was an experiment, a new endeavour for each partner. We ‘formed, stormed, normed and performed’* to tackle the challenges, find solutions and achieve results.
And next year we hope to do it all again, raising vital funds for four other LGBT+ organisations!
What Consortium learnt from the process:
- Working towards LGBT+ inclusion and equality is a shared goal for many organisations
- Cross-sector partnerships are valuable, bringing diverse expertise and resources together
- We love working in partnership! And we want to do more of it, to bring more resources into the sector, strengthen our LGBT+ community organisations and improve LGBT+ people’s lives.
If you’re interested in finding out more and working with us to support LGBT+ communities, get in touch!
*Tuckman’s four stages of group development
Written by Maria Antoniou, Consortium’s Funding Development Officer