Newham LGBTQ+ Youth Project works with LGBTQIA+ people or people who are questioning their sexual or gender identity between the ages of 9-25.
There is a regular group CAYA – Come As You Are, along with drop in sessions for LGBTQIA+ young people looking for support from youth workers. The service is free to access and provides a safe, supportive and non-judgemental place where young people can be themselves, meet other LGBTQ+ young people, make new friends, have fun taking part in activities and influence change in the community.
Whilst still in development, we aim to:
- Create a friendly, welcoming and inclusive, interactive space for the young people to express themselves in discussion and projects.
- Involve LGBTQ+ young people in improving services locally so that they better meet their needs.
- Work with organisations, schools and partners locally, regionally and nationally to improve the health and wellbeing of LGBTQ+ young people.
- Offer youth worker support for young people to explore their sexual orientation and/or gender identity, 1-2-1 and peer groups; through creative and social action projects, to support and help improve their physical, mental, social and emotional and education well-being.
- Create spaces where young people can take part in social action around issues that they are passionate about, this may include LGBTQ+ issues, alongside climate change, the future of employment and the built environment.
- We engage LGBTQ+ young in the recruitment of senior leaders in Newham and other paid opportunities where they have influence and power.
- Provide signposting for support and opportunities within the community.
- Raise awareness, support and understanding of LGBTQ+ issues.
- Discuss and celebrate LGBTQ+ issues and history.
Newham LGBTQ+ Youth Project works under Newham’s Youth Empowerment Service Participation Team.