Building Equality is an alliance of construction consultants, engineers, developers, contractors, and institutions who are passionate about working together and harnessing our collective power to drive LGBT+ inclusion in the construction industry. We have presence across the UK, with 50+ organisations from the industry regularly participating in joint initiatives to support LGBT+ inclusion.
Our vision is to have a construction industry that is wholly welcoming, inclusive and supportive of the LGBT+ community.
Through creating visibility, enabling collaboration and improving engagement, our work has had a positive impact across the industry through:
- Raising awareness about LGBT+ matters;
- Supporting and encouraging LGBT+ and Ally role models;
- Embedding the importance of creating LGBT+ inclusive workplaces;
- Aiding recruitment and retention within the industry; and
- Improving member company’s procurement and work winning.
- To enable cross-industry collaboration, to drive initiatives to build a more LGBT+ inclusive industry.
- To support other organisations within the industry in setting up and maintaining their LGBT+ employee networks.
- To promote the industry to university / college students and early career professionals as an LGBT+ inclusive place to work.
- To make LGBT+ inclusion a Boardroom topic, encouraging LGBT+ and Ally role models from the top down.
- To encourage, influence and enable the supply chain to create more LGBT+ inclusive working environments on site and in other work spaces.