Who we are
Building Equality is an alliance of consultants, engineers, developers, contractors, and institutions who are passionate about working together and harnessing our collective power to drive LGBT+ inclusion in the construction, engineering and built-environment industry.
To have a construction, engineering and built environment industry that is wholly welcoming, inclusive and supportive of LGBT+ professionals across the UK.
- To enable cross-industry collaboration, to drive initiatives to build a more LGBT+ inclusive industry;
- To support other organisations within the industry in setting up and maintaining their LGBT+ employee networks;
- To promote the industry to university / college students and early career professionals as an LGBT+ inclusive place to work;
- To make LGBT+ inclusion a boardroom topic, encouraging visible LGBT+ and Ally role models from the top down; and
- To encourage, influence and enable the supply chain to create more LGBT+ inclusive working environments on site and in all work spaces.
Facilitating activities and initiatives to support objectives
- UK-wide pride events: National Student Pride and Sparkle Weekend: Transgender Pride. Other pride events* include Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, London, Leeds, Manchester, Northern Pride and Salford;
- External awareness events, webinars and podcasts: to bring the industry together to discuss key equality, diversity and inclusion and LGBT+ issues, to enable cross-industry collaboration to implement positive change, whilst providing platforms for unheard voices;
- Outreach days: providing information to the general public on the industry and specifically highlighting its accessibility to LGBT+ individuals;
- Cross-company network mentorship: a designated mentor to new or perspective members to assist in developing and establishing company LGBT+ networks;
- Reverse mentorship scheme: to enable senior staff to understand barriers to LGBT+ staff both inside and outside the industry;
- Supply chain engagement – work with bodies like the Supply Chain School to change construction industry suppliers and contractors to be LGBT+ inclusive; and
- Develop resources: create and develop free resources to enable our industry to become more equal, diverse and inclusive.
*Attendance at other pride event is always open for discussion based on appetite within regional committees.