We have a new opportunity to be part of the London LGBTQ+ Community Centre!
We are an award-winning registered charity launched by a team of volunteers in 2017.
Our mission is to provide London with a sober, intersectional, intergenerational, community centre and café where all LGBTQ+ people feel welcome and supported, can build connections, and flourish. Our vision is for a more connected, belonging and thriving LGBTQ+ community in London.
We are looking for a community-driven person with a passion to lead public community spaces to join the team. They will take care of the space and push the organisation forward.
Title: Centre Manager
Contract: This is a full-time role. However, we are also open to hearing from people who may wish to apply for this role as a job-share together, as well as a part-time basis (3 days per week) as this is a demanding role and we embrace flexible working.
Location: The London LGBTQ+ Community Centre
Centre opening hours: Wednesday to Sunday, 11am to 8pm
Salary: £34,000 full-time pa; pro rata if part-time
Length of employment: 3 years contract
Accountable to: General Manager
Key contacts: General Manager and Communications and Marketing Manager
Role purpose and core accountabilities
- Supervise management day-to-day operations of the Centre
- Supervise all relationships with vendors and suppliers
- Take inquires
- Supervise maintenance of all café, toilet and communal areas are clean and tidy
- Keep operational policies up-to-date: H&S, Fire and Food Hygiene
- Liaise with Finance Lead on Centre revenue to stay within budget and develop new income streams
- Undergo training where needed
- Advise team on the best ways to resolve issues with clients and deliver excellent customer service
- Welcome people into the Centre
- Ensure the Centre’s code of conduct is maintained and adhered to, as a sober and inclusive safer space
- Supervision of pool of volunteers
- Design and lead induction process
- Keep records and files up-to-date
- Make sure we are compliant with volunteer management guidelines within industry
- Support team in volunteer management
- Organise activities and mentoring programme for volunteers
- Develop strategy for volunteer retainment
- Volunteer@ inbox management
- Undertake volunteer management training course, as and when required
- Nurture friendly relationships with customers and community members to increase loyalty and brand reputation
- Build relationships with partners in the health and wellbeing industry
- Build relationships with higher profile non-LGBTQ+ partners, like local cultural institutions and universities
- Ensure all safeguarding policies are up-to-date
- Undertake training regularly to ensure we are compliant and have best practices in place
- Record safeguarding issues and report to the General Manager and the Board
- Safeguardingleads@ inbox management
Mental Health and Wellbeing Lead
- Lead efforts to expand the mental health and wellbeing offer at the Centre
- Co-lead impact reporting along with General Manager and Research Lead
- Deliver informal listening and/or counselling for community members
- Undertake counselling training to deepen skills to support the community and themselves
- Line manage Centre Assistant and Events and Outreach Lead
- Represent the organisation at external events and publicity opportunities
Requirements and skills
- An engaging, passionate, energetic human
- Someone who can work self-sufficiently, and can lead a team of both staff and volunteers
- Two years experience in project management, volunteer management or hospitality roles
- Experience in client-facing roles, especially within community spaces
- Experience working with marginalised communities
- Experience in Safeguarding management and with a good understanding of communities’ needs
- Someone who understands community, and has experience of diverse LGBTQI+ communities
- Excellent people management and communication skills
- Excellent team player who can be flexible and adaptable
- Experience of till systems, stock control, and payment software
- Financially responsible
- Barista experience
- Availability to work within opening hours (including weekends and holidays)
- Customer service attitude
- Additional certification (e.g. in Business Administration or Hospitality) is a plus
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a short cover letter that tells us about your suitability for the role and what working hours you’d prefer to [email protected]
Deadline to receive applications is 5pm on Sunday 21 September. Please include ‘Centre Manager Application’ in your subject line.
Interviews will take place during the week commencing Monday 2 October.
The successful candidate will be required to start as early as possible.
We particularly welcome applications from trans, non-binary and POC candidates. We are a disability positive employer and we welcome the opportunity to provide reasonable adjustments as defined by the Equality Act 2010 during the recruitment, interview process and upon appointment. Please inform us if you feel you meet this criteria and if you would like to apply following a different process.
Due to the nature of the space as a safe community haven, Safeguarding training will be provided and DBS checks will be carried out.
This role has been supported by the National Lottery Community Fund.