Wise Thoughts are looking for friendly volunteers with with excellent communications skills and an ability to engage with people from all walks of life.
We are looking for LGBTQI+ volunteers to launch our befriending service, WISEfriends. This service will be open to LGBTQI+ community members aged 16+ who live, work and socialise in the borough of Haringey, as well as current Wise Thoughts users. We aim to create fun, new opportunities for social interaction for those looking to build their confidence, feel more part of the community or just meet new people.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the role will for the foreseeable future be focused on offering befriending sessions via telephone or video calls, but the goal is to establish opportunities for in person sessions once it is safe to do so.
Role will include:
- Facilitate a weekly catch up an assigned service user.
- Attending regular training sessions to build upon befriending skills and techniques.
- Keeping records of befriending contacts respecting confidentiality and personal data
- Working with staff members to help identify resources to support activities.
- Collect feedback from attendees.
- Act as an advocate spokesperson for the service at meetings and through social media (subject to willingness and availability).
- Referring service users on to relevant resources based upon information give by Wise Thoughts.
What we offer in return: Reasonable expenses as well as access to other activities offered by Wise Thoughts.
Essential: You must be a member of the LGBTQI+ community to be considered for this role.
Desired: Being able to demonstrate knowledge of the Haringey/North London area and needs of the local community. Prior experience within a similar befriending service or delivering engagement with members of the LGBTQI+ community.
All volunteers will be required to attend an interview to discuss training needs and access suitability for the role.
Minimum time commitment: 2-10 hours per week (we’d envision setting aside a minimum of an hour per befriending session to allow time for a natural conversation and subsequent admin).