Rainbow Home is a small but passionate North East charity which supports Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender people who are seeking asylum in the UK because they are at risk of harm, persecution, imprisonment or death in their home country. Our services are tailored to the specific and sensitive needs of our members. We help them with their basic needs as well as supporting them through the complexities of their asylum claims; ensuring that they have somewhere to turn during this difficult time.
Rainbow Home currently relies on the fundraising experience of our trustees to source and apply for funding. This voluntary role is an exciting opportunity to make a real impact on what we do, ensuring that our critical funding is prioritised and enabling us to continue to offer our services to those who need it.
We are looking for an experienced volunteer bid writer to support our goal of financial stability and sustainability through applications to funding trusts and other sources of income.
You will work alongside trustees and staff:
- To undertake web-based research, liaising with funding organisations to identify the most appropriate funding streams for the trust.
- To provide evidence for funding applications by undertaking web-based research into statistics, local and national policies and strategies, and other useful information.
- To write and / or assist with the writing of grant funding bids and / or tenders.
- To set up and regularly update a shared electronic system to keep track of progress and deadlines of applications.
- To support the development of a clear funding strategy which identifies needs and priorities for future sustainability.
The time commitment required for this role is flexible however, you will need to ensure the Management Committee is kept up to date on any developments and that you are available to offer assistance when needed.
Skills and Abilities
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of the fundraiser role.
- Able to think creatively and work collaboratively with others.
- Able to communicate constructively and effectively as a member of the team.
- Able to maintain a wider perspective as well as pay attention to detail.
- Ability to explain Rainbow Home ethos / values / approach clearly to potential funders.
- Ability to assess criteria of funding applications and how this links to key elements of Rainbow Home’s work.
- Able to understand the budget and extrapolate figures needed for grant applications.
- Excellent written and IT communication skills.
- Sound understanding of equality and diversity issues; commitment to supporting anti-discriminatory policies in relation to funding bids.
- Understanding of key systemic and structural barriers including racism.
- Understanding of intersectionality.
- Understanding of the Rainbow Home ethos, values and ways of working.
- Knowledge of local RAS, BAME and LGBT+ communities and networks.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Basic understanding of the UK asylum system and its impacts.
Note – The role allows the volunteer to engage from home although regular contact with Rainbow Home must be maintained.
Email: [email protected] to apply.