Mosaic LGBT+ Young Persons’ Trust has a number of young persons who are trans. However, the Board is made up of lesbians, gay men and bisexuals who do not fully understand the challenges these young persons face. We would like to recruit a Trustee to the Board who had direct personal experience of this.
Role purpose (common to all Trustees)
As a member of Mosaic LGBT+ Young Person’s Trust board (the “Board”) you help provide overall direction and leadership for the organisation’s strategy, with accountability for the organisation: sound management; financial health and quality of programme delivery.
General responsibilities (common to all Trustees)
In carrying out the collective responsibilities of the Board, individual Trustees should:
- Be an active participant, making relevant skills, experience and knowledge available to the organisation. This includes sitting on the Board and one of the Board subcommittees, occasionally attending the Youth Club and any special events we are holding, and using personal networks to develop connections for the organisation.
- Regularly attend Board meetings and prepare fully for those meetings including reading papers in advance, identifying key issues for discussion and providing advice and guidance on areas of expertise. Board meetings are held twice a quarter, in the evening. Preparation should generally take no more than an hour.
- Regularly attend the meetings of any subcommittee of which you are a member. Subcommittee meetings are held once or twice a quarter in the evening and preparation should generally take no more than an hour. . It is expected you will join one subcommittee.
- Have prior knowledge of, or take time to familiarise themselves with, best practices of Charity governance and operations including financial management. (We will provide guidance and training on this).
- Develop and maintain a sound and up-to-date knowledge of the organisation’s activities and any wider issues that affect its work.
- Actively contribute towards the effectiveness of the Trustee Board, engaging in discussion, debate and voting in a considered and constructive way, participating in induction and training as required, and sharing ideas for how the Board can be improved.
- Act in the best interests of Mosaic LGBT Youth Centre, including contributing to fundraising efforts, e.g. through personal contributions, introductions to potential supports and attending fundraising events.
- Undertake an annual performance self-assessment, which will be reviewed in discussion with the Chair and Director of Services.
- Act as a brand ambassador when talking to other professionals raising the profile and need for LGBT young persons’ services and placing Mosaic LGBT Youth Centre as a key provider of such services.
Responsibilities specific to this role
- To bring to Board discussions the specific experiences and perspectives of trans people and insights into the challenges they face.
- To advise the Board, and the Director of Services, on how to increase the profile of Mosaic within the trans community.
- To advise the Board and the Director of Services on how to encourage more trans people young persons to use our services.
- To advise the Board and the Director of Services on new offerings that are aimed specifically at trans young persons.
- To advise the Board and all staff at Mosaic on how they can improve their understanding of trans young persons
- Lived experience which provides insight into the perspectives of, and challenges faced by, trans young persons.
- A network of connections across the trans community which will enable the Trustee to be effective as an ambassador for the Trust and also make useful introductions which will grow our profile.
- Insights into the lives of trans young persons which will enable the Trustee to propose services and offerings that will be attractive to them.
- Ability to articulate insights into the families and friends of trans young persons which will enable the Trustee to enhance the understanding of the Board, the Executive Director and other staff and volunteer at Mosaic..
- Sound, independent judgment and strategic vision.
- A willingness to speak their mind whilst doing so with tact and diplomacy.
- Confidence to make decisions for the good of the organisation.
- Confident public speaker with the ability to inform and influence.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the duties of Trustee.
To apply please send a CV to our chair: firstname.lastname@example.org