LGBT HERO, is looking for an experienced community support worker to run the following:
- South Asian HangOuts – a monthly online support and social group for LGBTQ+ people of South Asian heritage.
- Older LGBTQ+ HangOuts – a new regular online support and social group for LGBTQ+ people over the age of 65 with some offline meet ups.
In November 2022, LGBT HERO launched a new online support group for men of South Asian Heritage called ‘SA HangOuts’. These were designed to support gay, bisexual and trans men of South Asian Heritage to connect and support one another in a bid to tackle the high numbers experiencing isolation, loneliness and a disconnect from the community. In March 2022 these groups stopped as the funding ran out. We are delighted to have received enough funding to restart this programme for all LGBTQ+ people of South Asian heritage. We aim to run these groups for at least a year with the possible extension based on funding. All groups will be held online.
Over the last year LGBT HERO has been trialing a new support group for older LGBTQ+ people in Lambeth called HangOuts 50+. We are delighted to have acquired funding to extend this group to all of London for a period of two years. We are looking for someone to run these groups alongside the SA HangOuts. These will be held online with some face-to-face groups – if there is a demand for them.
We are happy to hear from people who can:
- Only deliver the South Asian HangOut programme.
- Only deliver the Older LGBTQ+ people programme.
- Run both programmes.
We are ideally trying to fit both programmes within the one position but we understand this might be a lot to ask so please let us know when applying if you can run both programmes or just one.
You will work in partnership with the LGBT HERO team to plan each session, promote it via social media, run each group and report after each session is completed. You will be offered regular supervision and offered training should it be required.
LGBT HERO is looking for a passionate person to plan, promote, run and report on each session. The person who applies should have some or all of the following:
- Knowledge of the health and social inequalities South Asian gay, bisexual and trans men face in their daily lives.
- General knowledge of the health and social inequalities older LGBTQ+ people face.
- Knowledge of mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety.
- Knowledge of social issues such as isolation and loneliness, along with general society issues such as racism and discrimination.
- Experience in running group support sessions.
- Experience in running one-to-one support sessions.
- Experience in running group exercises.
As you will be working closely with members of our community we do require you to have an up-to-date DBS check. If you do not have one you can apply for one here: https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record. LGBT HERO will cover the cost should you not have one in place if you are successful.
Privacy and Confidentiality:
As you will be dealing with a lot of sensitive subjects you must also have a private and secure location when running sessions. You will be fully briefed on LGBT HERO’s privacy, confidentiality and safeguarding policies.
You will report the LGBT HERO’s Digital and Social Engagement team with some direct reporting to the Chief Executive. You may also be required to attend online team meetings from time to time.
To apply please send an up-to-date CV and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Please tell us your experience or knowledge of the health and social inequalities South Asian LGBTQ+ people face.
- Please tell us your experience or knowledge of the health and social inequalities older LGBTQ+ people face.
- Please tell us your experience or knowledge of mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety and social issues such as isolation and loneliness.
- Please tell us your experience in running group support sessions and any experience in running group exercises.
- Please tell us your experience in running one-to-one support sessions.
- Let us know if you can run both or just one group.
- And please tell us why you’d be the best person to run these sessions.
Although this is a freelance position, LGBT HERO has ambitions for this work to become a permanent position within the organisation.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and the cover letter to: [email protected]
There is no deadline – we will interview people as applications come in. The position will be filled once we find the right person.
Interviews will be conducted via Zoom at a time agreed between both parties.
LGBT HERO is an equality opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from all ages and backgrounds.
If you have any questions about this position please email: [email protected]