Kingston LGBTQ+ Forum (the “Forum” or “we”) is looking for a treasurer to join our board of trustees. We especially welcome expressions of interest from women, People of Colour, trans and intersex people, and people with trans histories.
The Forum is a charity run exclusively by volunteers and managed by a team of trustees. We provide services and activities for LGBTQ+ people in Kingston upon Thames.
We are looking for a reliable and skilled person who cares about local LGBTQ+ people to help us make Kingston a better, healthier and more inclusive place for LGBTQ+ people. You will be required to maintain an overview of the Forum’s affairs, securing our financial viability and making sure we keep proper financial records and procedures.
If you are interested in applying, please read the information below and email Charlie at: [email protected]
Trusteeship is an unpaid and voluntary donation of your time, skills and expertise. Only reasonable, out-of-pocket expenses, which have been agreed, are reimbursed.
Trustee role description
Title: Trustee and treasurer of Kingston LGBTQ+ Forum
The duties of a trustee are:
- To make sure that we comply with our constitution, charity law, company law and any other relevant laws or regulations;
- To make sure that we pursue our objects as defined in our constitution;
- To make sure that we apply our resources only to pursue our objects;
- To give firm strategic direction to the Forum, setting overall policy, defining goals, and setting targets and evaluating performance against those targets;
- To safeguard our good name and values;
- To make sure our administration is effective and efficient;
- To make sure we are financially stable; and
- To protect and manage our property, and make sure our funds are properly invested.
The additional duties of a treasurer are:
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements;
- Making sure that our financial resources meet our present and future needs;
- Making sure we have an appropriate reserves policy;
- Preparing and presenting financial reports to the trustees;
- Putting accounting procedures and controls in place;
- Liaising with volunteers and contractors about financial matters;
- Advising on the financial implications of the Forum’s strategic plans;
- Maintaining and adequately insuring our equipment and assets;
- Preparing and disclosing our accounts in the form required by funding and statutory bodies; eg the Charity Commission and Companies House;
- Keeping the trustees informed about their financial duties;
- Contributing to our fundraising strategy;
- Formally presenting the accounts at our Annual General Meetings and drawing attention to important
- points in a coherent and easily understandable way; and
- Helping with appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels if required.
In addition to the above duties, each trustee should use any special skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
To be a Forum trustee you must:
- Care about LGBTQ+ people in Kingston upon Thames;
- Be willing and able to devote the necessary time and effort;
- Have strategic vision;
- Have good, independent judgement;
- Be able to think creatively;
- Be willing to speak your mind;
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a trustee; and
- Abide by Nolan’s seven principles of public life, which are:
- Honesty; and
In addition to the qualities above, to be a the treasurer of the Forum you must:
- Have relevant financial qualifications and experience;
- Have some experience of charity finance and fundraising;
- Be able to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences;
- Be prepared to make unpopular recommendations to the board of trustees; and
- Be available to trustees, volunteers and contractors for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
If you are interested in applying, please read the information above and email Charlie at: [email protected]