Are you passionate about inspiring, uplifting and empowering LGBTQ+ youth, and to combat the high-levels of self-harm and suicide in the community? Then this is the role for you.
It Gets Better UK envisions a world where all LGBTQ+ youth are free to live equally and know their worthiness and power as individuals. We strive to tell the stories of LGBTQ+ people and to provide positive and reassuring messages to LGBTQ+ youth.
The It Gets Better Project was founded in 2010 in America. Since then, affiliated charities have been formed in 20 different countries, with It Gets Better UK having launched in October 2018.
We want to ensure that people are able to fully engage with our mission. Innovative thinking is at the heart of this and we are looking for dynamic individuals who will help shape the future and support the delivery of the organisation.
To that end, we are looking to expand our network of Regional Ambassadors to help promote It Gets Better UK, to inspire and engage with members of their local LGBTQ+ communities to get involved, and to help fundraise.
In particular we are looking for Regional Ambassadors to join our teams in the following areas:
- Northern Ireland (x2)
- Wales (x2)
- London (x1)
- Midlands (x1)
- South West (x1)
- North East (x2)
- Scotland (x1)
- South East (x1)
- North West (x2)
What will I be doing?
- Raise awareness of It Gets Better UK and our work through talking to members of the LGBTQ+ community in your area, and on social media
- Look after our information and fundraising stands at local events
- Deliver talks to local LGBTQ+ groups, community groups, schools etc about the work of It Gets Better UK and the ways in which they could help us achieve our goals
- Inspire members of the LGBTQ+ community to add their own It Gets Better story to our work
What skills/experience do I need?
- Confident public speaker with excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Reliable and professional demeanour
- A personal and friendly manner
- Flexibility to be called upon when needed
- An honest and trustworthy nature
- A good knowledge of the local LGBTQ+ community
What is the time commitment?
This is a flexible role and the times may vary, but we would expect you to spend at least two hours a week on your role. Regional Ambassadors are appointed for up to two years.
How will I be trained and supported?
- You will receive a full induction into It Gets Better UK and to your role
- You will have a trustee as a named contact who will support you and answer any questions you may have
- You will be added to our international network of volunteers where you can share ideas and ask questions
What can I gain from volunteering with you?
- The satisfaction that you are helping to inspire and empower LGBTQ+ youth
- Being part of an international movement
- The opportunity to use your existing skills as well as develop and learn new ones
- It Gets Better UK will act as a referee for you after the successful completion of your role
- Reimbursement of any expenses incurred (with prior agreement)
Where will I be based?
This role is based within your local area.
It Gets Better UK believes passionately that truly inclusive organisations lead to increased social impact. It is committed to achieving greater diversity in its volunteers, and actively encourages applications from people from Trans, Black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds, and disabled people.
Applications close on 23rd January 2023 at 23.59pm. To apply please go to www.itgetsbetter.org.uk/regional-ambassadors