Objective We’re looking for a passionate local LGBTQ+ person to be a part of Encompass’ work and make a difference to the community across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. We particularly encourage applications from trans and non-binary people, disabled, and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are underrepresented in our board of trustees. The Chair will hold the Board of Trustees to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity. The Chair will also support the project worker and volunteers as needed and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives. The Chair will act as one of the ambassadors and a public face of the charity undertaking public relations and press activities. We are changing the structure of the board, trustees will be more active and supporting; many responsibilities won’t be on the chair any more.
• Provide leadership to the charity and its Board, ensuring that the Charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries.
• Ensure that Trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the Charity.
• Ensure that the Board operates within its charitable objectives, and provides a clear strategic direction for the Charity.
• Ensure that the Board identify and regularly review major risks and associated opportunities, and satisfy itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities, and manage and mitigate the risks.
• Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure sound financial health of the charity, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability.
• Ensure that the governance arrangements are working in the most effective way for the Charity.
• Develop the knowledge and capability of the Board of Trustees by encouraging them to take relevant training courses and learning opportunities.
• Encourage positive change where appropriate address and resolve any conflicts within the Board.
• Ensure that the Board of Trustees is regularly refreshed and incorporates the right balance of skills, knowledge and experience needed to govern and lead the charity effectively, and which also reflects the wider population.
• Work within any agreed policies adopted by the charity.
• Act as an ambassador for the cause and the charity.
• Maintain close relationships with key members of the local councils, MPs and with key influences.
• Act as a spokesperson for the organisation when appropriate.
• Represent the charity at external functions, meetings and events.
• Facilitate change and address any potential conflict with external stakeholders.
• Lead the Cambridgeshire LGBT+ Forum.
Efficiency and effectiveness
• Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision making process.
• Ensure that Trustees are fully engaged and that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the Charity and that the Board takes collective ownership.
• Foster, maintain and ensure that constructive relationships exist with and between the Trustees.
• Give direction to Board policy-making and to ensure that meetings are well planned, meaningful and reflect the responsibilities of trustees.
• Monitor that decisions taken at meetings are implemented.
• Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the charity, its strategic objectives and cause.
• Personal gravitas to lead a significant local organisation.
• Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role.
• Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively.
• Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the charity.
• Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment.
• Ability to commit time to conduct the role well, including travel and attending events out of office hours.
• Experience of operating at a strategic level within an organisation.
• Successful track record of achievement through their career to date.
• Preferably experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees.
• Experience of external representation, delivering presentations and managing stakeholders.
• Experience of chairing meetings and events.
Knowledge and skills
• Knowledge and understanding of the LGBT+ community and current issues affecting it.
• Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring people together.
• Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues.
• Good understanding of charity governance issues.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow Encompass Network on Twitter https://www.twitter.com/cambslgtb?lang=en
Follow Encompass Network on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/EncompassNetworkCam
Follow Encompass Network on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/encompassnetwork/
The charity’s Chair (and board members) will serve a four -year term to be eligible for reappointment for one additional term. Part-time hours: 5 per week Advert closing date: 01/06/2021 Please contact the Chair of trustees at David@encompassnetwork.org.uk if you have any questions about the role. To apply for this role send CV in word format to Jorge@encompassnetwork.org.uk