akt is the UK’s national LGBTQ Youth Homelessness charity. We provide safe homes and support to ensure that no young person needs to choose between a safe home and being who they are. Currently 24% of young people facing homelessness in the UK identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender, and 77% cite abuse and rejection by their families after coming out as the primary reason for seeking help. The charity was founded in 1989 and operates service centres in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol and works online through a digital service across the UK. akt has launched a new five-year strategy and seen significant growth in income generation and awareness over the previous five years.
We are recruiting for a Caseworker to join our London Services team on a permanent basis. The salary is £29,200 per annum.
- To assist the services team in triaging new referrals for assessment before allocation of a caseworker.
- To carry out holistic assessments of the needs of young LGBTQ+ people who are homeless, vulnerably housed, or in a hostile environment, and to carry out short-term intervention where appropriate on their behalf.
- Identifying young persons support needs and assisting them in developing a detailed support plan for short-term intervention with each young person.
- Embed online chat as a core offer within akt for young people.
- Finding accommodation options and housing solutions for young people and being creative in sourcing new accommodation routes and building relationships with accommodation providers in cooperation with the services team.
- Digitally supporting appointments with young LGBTQ+ people when needed including providing advocacy with statutory services i.e. Local Authorities.
Closing date: Tuesday 30th May 2023 (midnight 12 am)
Interview date: Tuesday 13th June 2023