akt is the UK’s national LGBTQ Youth Homelessness charity. We provide safe homes, mentoring, and support to ensure that no young person needs to choose between a safe home and being who they are. Currently 24% of young people facing homelessness in the UK identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender, and 77% cite abuse and rejection by their families after coming out as the primary reason for seeking help. The charity was founded in 1989 and operates service centres in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol and works online through a digital service providing support and opportunities for e-mentoring across the UK. In 2012, akt opened the UK’s first emergency safe house for young LGBT people in the UK. akt works with over 2,000 vulnerable young people a year providing both face to face and online assistance.
- Deliver online chat as part of akt’s core offer.
- Work alongside the Senior Digital Caseworker to develop and enhance akt’s digital offer and ensure it meets all current and potential needs of young people.
- Assess the needs of, and undertake casework with young LGBTQ+ people who are homeless, vulnerably housed, or in a hostile environment and fall outside of our 4 city regions.
- Maintain up to date records of young people accessing live chat and national casework.
- Offer support to volunteers around digital engagement including live chat.
- Contribute to and maintain digital resources and signposting routes to enable young people to engage with appropriate services.
- Contribute to the development of the online resource hub so that it continues to meet the needs of young people accessing online support.
For full details and to apply, click on the button below.