We are recruiting for new Trustees to join our Trustee Board!
African Rainbow Family (ARF) is a small registered charity (registration number 1185902) that support LGBTIQ people of African heritage and the wider Black Asian Minority Ethnic groups. ARF was established in 2014 in the wake of some Commonwealth countries in Africa’s toxic and draconian anti-gay laws which seek to criminalise LGBTIQs for the preference of whom they choose to love. ARF provides practical support for LGBTIQ refugees and people seeking asylum and campaigns for global LGBTIQ equality.
We need experienced members of the public to join our existing Board. We are particularly keen to recruit members who have one or more of the following skills:
- Experience of managing a growing and dynamic independent organisation.
- Financial management – able to act as our treasurer.
- Experience of managing press and publicity.
- Experience in a secretarial role.
The Board is responsible for setting the strategy and policies of the charity and guides and supports the staff team. Board members are expected to be fully committed to the charity’s aims and values and be willing to work as part of a team.
To find out more about joining the Board and to receive an application pack, please contact African Rainbow Family on 07711 285567 or email email@example.com. When contacting via email please ensure the subject matter is titled ‘Trustee application’.
Closing date for applications is 5pm Wednesday 30th June.
Role Description – Board Members
To have and accept ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of the charity, and ensuring that it is solvent, well-run, and delivering the charitable outcomes for which it has been established.
To act as Trustees of the charity.
General – working collectively with other Board members:
- To ensure that the organisation complies with its memorandum and articles of association, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its charitable objects.
- To ensure that the organisation defines its goals and evaluates performance against agreed plans.
- To safeguard the reputation, assets and values of the organisation.
- To ensure that appropriate policies, systems and procedures are in place for the proper operation of the charity.
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation.
- To oversee the appointment, supervision, support, appraisal and performance of staff that report to the Board.
- To contribute to the charity’s direction and future strategy.
- To identify and raise any actual or potential conflicts of interests with your role as a board member and other roles or interests you might have.
What we expect of you:
- A commitment to the organisation.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort (approximately 5 hours per month or as needed).
- A commitment to respect the confidential nature of items relating to ARF’s clients, staff and business.
- Good, independent judgement.
- A willingness to speak your mind.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of the role.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Strive to attend all meetings, sending apologies to the chair for necessary absences.
- Prepare for the meeting by reading the agenda, papers and emails before the meeting.
- Participate fully in the meeting by contributing positively.
- Have the best interests of the organisation/beneficiaries in mind at all times.
What you can expect of the organisation:
- Honest and timely reports as to the organisation’s performance and business position.
- Access to induction and training to carry out this role.
- Payment of expenses incurred in carrying out this role in line with our policy.